Just outside Watford but still wholly rural. A large church with a little Norman work, but the chancel is 13th century, the nave and south aisle are 14th century, the north aisle from the 15th. The chancel chapel contains a fine pair of medieval tombs. There have been many restorations starting with John Shaw in 1813-14, Sir Charles Barry in 1840, T. Talbot Bury in 1852 and a large one by A.W. Blomfield in 1881-82. WW2 bombing caused damage that was restored by 1958.
Find Places, Architects & Themes
Make the pictures bigger
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.
- Campus Church, Hyde Way, Welwyn Garden City (Independent Baptist)
- Cemetery Chapel, Ashwell
- National Children’s Home Chapel (Former), Highfield Oval, Harpenden now Youth With A Mission (YWAM)
- Woollensbrook Cemetery & Crematorium, Hertford Road, Hoddesdon
- Primitive Methodist (Former), Cheapside, Anstey