Attractively sited at Watton Green on the south side of this large village between Hertford and Stevenage. For many years locked outside services, but a change of policy, this month means that it is generally open daily 10-3. It’s a large building for a Herts village church. It is basically 15th century with a restoration in 1851 by Joseph Clarke. The north chapel is 16th century for the family inhabiting nearby Woodhall Park, so it is now called the Abel-Smith chapel, unfortunately, the gates into it are locked so pictures have to be taken at an angle, they are near the end of this set. There is a room over the north porch which is accessible from a narrow staircase, again near the end of this step. There are many ledger slabs that the 18th-century pews and choir stalls were randomly built over in some cases.
St Andrew and St Mary, Watton at Stone
Find Places, Architects & Themes
Make the pictures bigger
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.
- Chapel, Queenswood School, Shepherd’s Way, Brookmans Park
- Campus Church, Hyde Way, Welwyn Garden City (Independent Baptist)
- Cemetery Chapel, Ashwell
- National Children’s Home Chapel (Former), Highfield Oval, Harpenden now Youth With A Mission (YWAM)
- Woollensbrook Cemetery & Crematorium, Hertford Road, Hoddesdon