Home » Ashwell
Category Archives: Ashwell
Replacing, the still extant, old church in 1880s but demolished in 1979 after the congregation joined that at the United Reformed Church in 1977. Four foundation stones are mounted in a wall along the alley connecting High and Silver Streets at the side of the site.
Now very overgrown at the cul-de-sac end of Angell’s Meadow. Some of the wall alongside a footpath up from Silver Street has gone allowing a view in. The Meeting House was destroyed by fire in 1850, having already been out of use.
Built in 1852 as the Congregational Church, replacing an earlier building destroyed by fire in 1850. There was an interior refurbishment in 1906 by George Baines.
One of the largest and most attractive villages in North Hertfordshire. This is also one of the largest and most impressive village parish churches in the county, reflecting its medieval prosperity. It is virtually all of the 14th century. In the tower is some well known inscribed graffiti showing the old St Paul’s cathedral. The clerestory contains some medieval glass.