Home » Baptist
Category Archives: Baptist
Hidden from the road behind Lace Cottage in Stocks Road, Aldbury. From the road only part of a tile hung wall can be seen, a public footpath at the rear of Stocks Road enables a view of an end wall only. It was built around 1827 or 1836 depending on the source used.
Reached by a footpath off the High Street. Built in 1872, it was closed from 1945-55. Road access to the newer building at the rear is via Apple Cotts.
A building of 1837 with a later frontage added around 1886. There had been other enlargements in 1859 and 1867.
There was a Baptist chapel from 1857 which was enlarged in 1874. Like so many village chapels it closed, in 2006-2007, and is now housing. The foundation stones are largely covered by plants.
Built around 1904, replacing the use of various buildings in the village.
There are three main buildings here. The current church opened in 1964, the older church dating from 1868, designed by W. Allen Dixon, and at right angles to the rear of the old church another building (Sunday school?) of 1888. All are connected by various ancillary rooms, the older buildings now being used as halls The modern church has a conservatory type frontage added to provide a refreshment/circulation area.