Home » Bishops Stortford
Category Archives: Bishops Stortford
Built as a Church of England Training college in 1852 by Joseph Clarke. The site was a boarding school before its present status as a boarding and day school academy. The chapel of 1878 (middle gable) is just visible from the road, but is hidden by other buildings from the footpath that skirts the school site.
The workhouse, on the eastern side of the town has been redeveloped as housing since 2004 after being the Herts and Essex Hospital which has been rebuilt on part of the site. It was built between 1836 and 1842 according to the town council source which identifies the building below as a chapel or 1856 according to the listing which does not mention a chapel. This building and its twin next door are described in the listing as entrance lodges. The third source does not mention a chapel at all.
On an industrial estate in the south of the town. The centre was built in 2012 as a replacement for the Newtown Road chapel.
Just off the main street of the town and built for the Salvation Army in the mid 1920s. The Salvation Army left in 1999 and it now used by a church that is part of the International Network of Churches (formerly Christian Outreach Centre), a group founded in Australia.
Close to the town centre, it was built in 1899 and became redundant in 2000. It was eventually replaced by a modern centre some way out of the town centre. It is now converted to residential and commercial use.