Home » Bushey
Category Archives: Bushey
On the rural edge of Bushey. An independent girl’s school dating from 1897 and designed by Alfred and Paul Waterhouse. The chapel is easily visible as it is alongside the road at the school entrance.
Part of a vast collection of buildings on the edge of Bushey. The chapel is flint faced, while the rest of the site is red brick. The school dates from 1902 and was designed by Gordon, Lowther and Gunton. It closed in 1977 and was briefly the United States International University (Europe). The site is now being redeveloped as Royal Connaught Park which much new building. However the chapel is surrounded by scaffolding and totally stripped of furnishings, decoration and floor. See the link below for the interior in a state of dereliction but complete as recently as 2013. It was designed by E.Doran Webb and built in 1900. The interior is visible though an rsj supported opening where the organ appears to have been removed. The foundation stone is at the east end but is difficult to see through green netting and scaffolding.
Built in 1852 but it ceased to be a chapel in 1883 with a move to a relatively recently demolished tin church. It was converted into a private theatre by Sir Hubert Herkomer in about 1887, being close to his house and art school. It was extended in 1912-1913 when it became a film studio called ‘The Glass Studios’. All are now part of an office complex.
Next to the Rose garden at the Bushey Heath end of Bushey. It was designed by Percy Morley-Horder and built 1904. It is now a Theatre studio.
Prominently sited by the main road into north London, 2 miles south-east of Watford town centre. The chancel is by James Neale dating from 1891. The nave of 1911 is by G.H. Fellowes-Prynne as is the apsidal war memorial chapel of 1921. The west window and one in the north aisle are by Henry Holiday.