Home » Clarke, Joseph
Category Archives: Clarke, Joseph
Built as a Church of England Training college in 1852 by Joseph Clarke. The site was a boarding school before its present status as a boarding and day school academy. The chapel of 1878 (middle gable) is just visible from the road, but is hidden by other buildings from the footpath that skirts the school site.
A village that has become annexed to the south end of the town. The church sits high above the Watford road, it was designed by Joseph Clarke and dates from 1871. The south elevation clearly shows how the church , as planned, has never been completed. The east window is by Frederick Preedy.
Sitting raised above the town centre. A large medieval church with a brick tower top and unusually a spire, both of which were added in 1812. Joseph Clarke restored the church in 1867-68 and there was a more recent restorations by Stephen Dykes-Bower in 1960s and 70s. The chancel misericords are reputed to be from the old St Paul’s Cathedral. There is a huge collection of carved corbels and headstops around the church.