Home » Congregational
Category Archives: Congregational
Half way up the steep hill leading south from the village’s main street. The current building is by the Rev. A R Goddard and dates from 1889, it replaced a chapel of 1812. The church closed in 1965, apart from a funeral service in 1967/8 and was eventually sold to an organisation called Back to God, but their plans fell through and by 1973 it was vandalised, but was saved by conversion to a house in 1977. There are still, mostly flattened, grave stones in the front garden.
On the main road through this large east Hertfordshire village. It dates from 1872-1874 and designed by Habershon & Brock, the hall behind and to the side is a very similar building.
Near the centre of the village. The congregation dates from 1836 but the chapel is a little later. Originally an Independent then a Congregational Church, it is now an independent congregational chapel. The burial ground is on the other side of the road and behind the village primary school. The balcony was converted into a rather individual coffee bar some time ago.
Hadham Ford is a southern outlier of Little Hadham. The chapel appears to have been disused for a number of years (Google streetview shows it so in 2009 judging by the state of the now gone notice board). The adjacent hall is now a private house. The chapel was built 1874-75 and designed by John Sulman who went on to be a prominent architect in Australia. An application for conversion to a house was made in January 2017.
Near the church but only accessible from a public footpath. It is a much altered timber-framed building. The land was acquired in 1762 for the construction of the chapel. It was closed in 2014.