Home » Congregational (Page 2)

Category Archives: Congregational

Find Places, Architects & Themes

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Independent Chapel (former), Amenbury Lane, Harpenden

Just above Leyton Green and now the offices of a financial services company. It was built in 1840 and became a Congregational chapel in 1868 but was replaced by the current United Reformed Church in 1897 and sold after short use as a Sunday school in 1904.

harpenden_independent_chapel_former300315_  harpenden_independent_chapel_former300315_1

Congregational Chapel, High Street, Barkway

At the northern end of the fine High Street of this former coaching town. The chapel dates from 1884 and was designed by W.D. Church. It replaced a chapel about a quarter of a mile away in Royston Road. Its site is now Chapel Close but the burial ground to its east is still in existence.

barley_congregational270315_  barley_congregational270315_1
 barley_congregational270315_4  barley_congregational270315_2
   
   

Congregational Church (former), High Street, Barley

Now converted to housing following closure in 1984. The building dates from 1841, it was built as an Independent chapel and passed to the Congregationalists in 1889.

barley_chapel_former270315_  barley_chapel_former270315_1
 barley_chapel_former270315_3

Congregational Church (former), Kneesworth Street, Royston

Now in use commercially, it was converted after falling out of use in the 1980s. It dates from 1791-92

royston_congregational_former270315_  royston_congregational_former270315_1
 royston_congregational_former270315_2

Congregational Church (former), High Street, Bushey (now Margaret Howard Theatre and Studios)

Next to the Rose garden at the Bushey Heath end of Bushey. It was designed by Percy Morley-Horder and built 1904. It is now a Theatre studio.

bushey_congregational_former151214_  bushey_congregational_former151214_1
 bushey_congregational_former151214_5  bushey_congregational_former151214_6
 bushey_congregational_former151214_2  bushey_congregational_former151214_3
 bushey_congregational_former151214_4

 

Listed building details

Alexandra Road Congregational Church, Hemel hempstead

Between the new and old towns. A large independent chapel dating from 1890 and designed by W.A. Fisher. There is a slightly earlier hall next door.

hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_ hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_2
 hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_4  hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_8
 hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_3  hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_7
 hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_6  hemel_hempstead_congregational041114_5

Church website

Puckeridge Evangelical Congregational Church (former)

Built in 1834. Disused but not yet converted to any other use (top 3 photos), although permission was granted in May 2013 for residential conversion. In April 2015 it looks as if the conversion work is almost over  (note how the roof line has been raised) – see the lower images. It stands in the main street very near to the Roman Catholic Church.

puckeridge_former_methodist_chapel110513_ puckeridge_former_methodist_chapel110513_1
 puckeridge_former_methodist_chapel110513_2  puckeridge_evangelical_congregational_former070415_
 puckeridge_evangelical_congregational_former070415_3  puckeridge_evangelical_congregational_former070415_2
 puckeridge_evangelical_congregational_former070415_6

Sale document

Wood End Congregational Chapel (Former)

In a hamlet of Ardeley. Built in 1820 and rebuilt in 1862, since the 1970s it has become one private property with the timber-framed farm house to its rear.

wood_end_congregational_church_former021014_ wood_end_congregational_church_former021014_3
 wood_end_congregational_church_former021014_4  wood_end_congregational_church_former021014_5

Listed building details