Home » Cottered

Category Archives: Cottered

Find Places, Architects & Themes

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Meeting House (Former), Baldock Road, Cottered now Wayside Cottage

This 17th or 18th cottage on the main road through Cottered was used as the village Meeting House from 1742 prior to its transfer to the house in Meeting House Lane in the early nineteenth century.

 

Listed building details

Meeting House (Former), Warren Lane, Cottered

Down the dead end Warren Lane south of the parish church. This cottage succeeded a cottage in the village in being used as a Quaker Meeting House around 1808. It has been a kennels since the mid 1950s.

Listed building details

Chapel (Former), Cottered (now The Old Chapel)

A Congregational Mission chapel, now a bungalow on the A507 at the west end of the village. It is very much altered from its chapel days. It was built sometime after 1810, out of use in 1852, back in use in 1858, closed in 1913, open again in 1924 and finally closed in 1951.

cottered_old_chapel270616_  cottered_old_chapel270616_1
 cottered_old_chapel270616_2

St John the Baptist, Cottered

A long village along the A507 west of Buntingford, the church sits in a triangular churchyard towards the western end of the village. Medieval with a very tall nave, but no aisles and an interior with a prominent St Christopher wall painting.

cottered_church151212_10

cottered_st_john_the_baptist200913_13

cottered_st_john_the_baptist200913_9 cottered_church151212_4
         
   
 
   cottered_st_john_the_baptist200913_2