Home » Harpenden
Category Archives: Harpenden
In the northeast of the town, this site was originally a settlement for homeless children founded by a Methodist minister Thomas Bowman Stephenson. It moved from London to this site in 1913 but closed in the 1980s. The site became the National Children’s Home, a charity now known as Action for Children. It is now a centre for the Christian community outreach and training organisation Youth with a mission. The chapel is one of a range of buildings around a central grassy oval/
In a range facing the road but well set back, this is the chapel of a non denominational (but with an Anglican chaplain) day and boarding school. The school opened in 1907 as an independent school but is now within the state system as a voluntary aided secondary school.
On the main road through Batford which is effectively an eastern suburb of Harpenden. The church was built in 1904-05 to designs by Anscombe and Franklin.
An independent evangelical church in the eastern suburbs of the town.
Just up the road from Christ Church, this is a Congregational Church building of 1896-97 that replaced the Independent Chapel in Amenbury Road on the other side of the town centre. The architect was Arthur Anscombe.
An independent evangelical church just down the hill from the United Reformed Church in the town centre. Many of their services are actually held in the URC building.
Just off the town centre at the top of Leyton Green. The current building dates from the 1960s.
Built as an independent chapel but now a house, attractively sited between the Common and Rothamsted.