Home » Hatfield
Category Archives: Hatfield
Not far from the northern entrance to the Galleria, this is an industrial unit used by the church.
The burial ground of the Union Chapel in Chapman’s Yard, Old Hatfield was destroyed in 1965 when new housing, Park Close, was built over the site. The bodies were re-intered in a mass grave and the stones reset against a wall at the rear of the development.
This small building, together with some housing recently replaced an older church of 1936 that was demolished in 2013. Prior to this the old church had been vacated in 2007, brought back into use in 2009 as the recession had stopped plans for its replacement. The worship area is the room to the left of the porch as we look at it. It contains a communion table and stackable chairs but no fixed furnishings.
A short way east of the town centre, a church of 1934.
A suburban church of 1961 by George Baines & Syborn.
In a 1970s ex government office building in the centre of the new town.
Now serving as a hall for Marychurch, this church was built to serve Old Hatfield in 1929-30.
At the base of the hill below Hatfield House in Old Hatfield, this circular church dates from 1969-70 and is by George Mathers of Mathers, Thomas and Associates. The previous church (St Theresa) of 1929 is now its hall. The interior glows with dalle de verre glass made by Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey.