Home » Little Gaddesden
Category Archives: Little Gaddesden
Beautifully situated on the edge of a deep valley west of Little Gaddesden. The house was built 1808-14 by James Wyatt and his nephew Jeffry Wyatt. It became a college in 1921 and Ashridge Management College in 1954. The chapel was added in 1817. Its spire is a fibreglass replacement of 1969 replacing the original being truncated in 1922.
It sits all alone to the east of the village with wide views north over sheep grazing on the rolling Chiltern hills . The south aisle and chapel were added by James Wyatt in 1830 and 1819 to a small medieval church. The main interest is the collection of 18th and 19th century monuments principally to the Bridgewater family of Ashridge across the valley to the south-west of the village. An older monument (early 17th century) to Elizabeth Dutton came here from St Martin’s in the Fields.