Home » Methodist
Category Archives: Methodist
In the northeast of the town, this site was originally a settlement for homeless children founded by a Methodist minister Thomas Bowman Stephenson. It moved from London to this site in 1913 but closed in the 1980s. The site became the National Children’s Home, a charity now known as Action for Children. It is now a centre for the Christian community outreach and training organisation Youth with a mission. The chapel is one of a range of buildings around a central grassy oval/
Replacing, the still extant, old church in 1880s but demolished in 1979 after the congregation joined that at the United Reformed Church in 1977. Four foundation stones are mounted in a wall along the alley connecting High and Silver Streets at the side of the site.
These steps near the Abbey are the only remains of a barn that was licensed for Methodist meetings in 1794.
This is a curiosity as it appears to be a small fragment of the original Rickmansworth Methodist church according to the local listing document which says, “The rear of No.78 was once the site of the first Methodist Chapel in Rickmansworth and a bricked-up ornamental doorway is still present in the side wall (referenced below).
According to the Victoria County History there was a Methodist church at Dassels. Dassels is a hamlet along the road from Braughing to Hare Street. The building is not visible from the road but belongs to the house called Edwinstree, although it seems to be physically behind the neighbouring Old Coach House. It is now a holiday cottage. The pictures of the chapel (the red brick building with a semi circular window) below were taken from a footpath that runs, at some distance, behind and above the hamlet. Edwinstree is shown from the road.
On a road off the High Street near the Baptist Church. Used only from 1854-56, it has long been converted into a pair of semi-detached houses.