Home » Quaker
Category Archives: Quaker
This 17th or 18th cottage on the main road through Cottered was used as the village Meeting House from 1742 prior to its transfer to the house in Meeting House Lane in the early nineteenth century.
Down the dead end Warren Lane south of the parish church. This cottage succeeded a cottage in the village in being used as a Quaker Meeting House around 1808. It has been a kennels since the mid 1950s.
Now very overgrown at the cul-de-sac end of Angell’s Meadow. Some of the wall alongside a footpath up from Silver Street has gone allowing a view in. The Meeting House was destroyed by fire in 1850, having already been out of use.
On the opposite side of the town centre to the Meeting House. This plot of land is surrounded by high walls and locked gates. There are no markers left and the area has returned to a scrub of trees and rank weeds at the bottom of Port Hill next to what is now Oaks veterinary surgery. The land was acquired in 1661, but sold in the early 1970s and the headstones relocated to the garden behind the Meeting House.
The Quaker meeting-house in Ware closed in 1864 and was demolished in 1881, but the burial ground remained in this small street just north of the town centre. It is now landscaped as a knot garden with three modern reproduction Quaker burial stones. The stones marking over 200 burials are long gone.
Facing the Common, this is a chapel of 1893 closed in 1969 and sold in 1970 and converted to an arts centre. For some reason all the name and foundation stones have been crudely scratched out. Interestingly it is now used for regular Quaker meetings so is back in religious use for a period of time each week.
Across the road from its burial ground, where the current Meeting House now stands. It has been extended and converted into local government/NHS offices but appears to be empty currently (March 2016). It was designed by Samuel Whitfield Dawkes in 1840.