Home » Redundant church
Category Archives: Redundant church
This building, now house, predates its use as a church by many years. It was built as the squash court for Moffats a local large house. It was purchased in 1948 and an appeal for £1,500 in 1949 to convert it to a chapel, succeeded and conversion started in 1950 with consecration in 1951. It lasted until the 1990s, being converted to a house around 1997. This conversion added the street level windows.
Partially hidden away behind other houses in The Back, as it is accessed down a passageway alongside number 7. It dates from 1835 and is now a house. The rear can be viewed from the garden of The Plough.
Hidden from the road behind Lace Cottage in Stocks Road, Aldbury. From the road only part of a tile hung wall can be seen, a public footpath at the rear of Stocks Road enables a view of an end wall only. It was built around 1827 or 1836 depending on the source used.
Built in 1852 but it ceased to be a chapel in 1883 with a move to a relatively recently demolished tin church. It was converted into a private theatre by Sir Hubert Herkomer in about 1887, being close to his house and art school. It was extended in 1912-1913 when it became a film studio called ‘The Glass Studios’. All are now part of an office complex.