Home » Roman Catholic
Category Archives: Roman Catholic
Down a winding private drive east of Wareside, off the road to Widford. The house of 1876-79 is by George Devey and is linked to the chapel by a range rebuilt in 1968 after a 1937 fire The Roman Catholic chapel dates from 1896 and is by Edward Goldie. From 1960 to 1980 the house and chapel were used by the Order of the Blessed Sacrament. After their departure, the various buildings were converted to housing.
A 16th century barn at Tinker’s hall whose upper floor was transformed into a Roman Catholic chapel in the 1940s when Neville and Florence Lake, owners of the Rayments brewery in the village converted to Roman Catholicism and decided they wanted their own chapel. It was served by priests from surrounding parishes until its closure in July 2013. The furnishings and vestments that had been collected from a variety of sources were dispersed after closure.
Seemingly disused, this chapel was built over the grave of Robert Hugh Benson (died 1914), a son of the Archbishop of Canterbury who converted to Roman Catholicism. It stands in the grounds of Hare Street House where he lived and which was bequeathed to the Archbishops of Westminster as a country home. The exterior can be seen through a locked lych gate on the B1038 towards Great Hormead. Apparently a brew house in the grounds (not publicly visible) was also converted to a chapel.
On the western edge of the town centre, the basis of the building is from 1912 and designed by a C. Green. A tower and south aisle were added in the 1960s by George Mathers. Reconstruction in 1995-99 by Anthony Delarue turned the church by 180 degrees and added a new aisle.
Serving western Hemel Hempstead. The church dates from 1898 (Blessed Sacrament Chapel), extended in 1900 (sacristy), 1903 (chapel extended), 1938 (further extension by A. H. Archard of Marshall & Archard) and 1951 (sanctuary and further extension by Archard Partners).