Home » Roman Catholic (Page 2)

Category Archives: Roman Catholic

Find Places, Architects & Themes

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Edmund’s College Chapel, Old Hall Green (Roman Catholic)

A private Roman Catholic School alongside the old A10 south of Puckeridge. The chapel was designed by Augustus Pugin and built 1845-53 in the style of an Oxbridge College chapel. The Lady Chapel of 1861 and the Schofield Chantry of 1862 were added by his son E.W. Pugin. F.A. Walters added a Shrine Chapel in 1904 and a Galilee Chapel in 1922.It is not right by the road but from certain angles can be seen from a long way off as in the hazy view taken from across the fields a mile away to the south-east.

old_hall_green_st_edmunds_college_chapel080912_  old_hall_green_st_edmunds_college_chapel080912_1
 st_edmunds_college_chapel100715_1  old_hall_green_st_edmunds_college111116_2
 old_hall_green_st_edmunds_college130816_1  old_hall_green_st_edmunds_college130816_

School chapel website

Taking stock entry

Listed building details

St Saviour, Abbots Langley (Roman Catholic)

Just off the village street and very close to the Anglican church. Designed by John Rochford and dating from 1962-63. The large sculpture is by David John.

abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_1  abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_4
 abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_2 abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_
 abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_6  abbotts_langley_st_saviour_rc020514_5

Church website

Taking Stock entry

St Bede, Baldwins Lane, Croxley Green (Roman Catholic)

Hidden down a short drive of Baldwins Lane in deep suburbia. Built in 1952 to designs by T.J. Denny, the spire, entrance porch and a lady chapel were added in 1963.

croxley_green_st_bede_rc280414_  croxley_green_st_bede_rc280414_1
 croxley_green_st_bede_rc280414_3  croxley_green_st_bede_rc280414_2

Church website

Taking Stock entry

St John the Evangelist, Mill End (Roman Catholic)

Almost opposite the Anglican church but set below road level. It is by Denny and Bryan and built in 1970-71.

mill_end_st_john_the_evangalist280414_  mill_end_st_john_the_evangalist280414_3
 mill_end_st_john_the_evangalist280414_4  mill_end_st_john_the_evangalist280414_2

Church website

Taking Stock entry

St John Fisher, Shire Lane, Chorleywood (Roman Catholic)

A curious building as it is a conversion of a domestic property called Hill Cottage built in 1895. Architecturally its importance is that the worship area is in an extension of 1905 designed by C.F.A. Voysey one of the key domestic architects in Britain around the turn of the 20th century.

   chorleywood_st_john_fisher_rc240314_4 chorleywood_st_john_fisher_rc240314_1
 chorleywood_st_john_fisher_rc240314_2  chorleywood_st_john_fisher_rc240314_5
 chorleywood_st_john_fisher_rc240314_

Church website

Taking Stock entry

Listed building details

St Thomas More, Wheathampstead (Roman Catholic)

A simple church of 1971 by Lanner of Wakefield, replacing a church of 1938.

wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rc170314_ wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rc170314_1
 wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rcl170314_5  wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rc170314_2
 wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rcl170314_1  wheathampstead_st_thomas_more_rcl170314_

Church website

Taking Stock entry

 

St Anthony of Padua, The Crosspath, Radlett (Roman Catholic)

In a suburban street away from the town centre. The church is from 1910, architect unknown, there are extensive rooms that were added in 2005. A number of new furnishings were added 2006-07 designed by Stephen foster and Zoe Cull.

radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_2  radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_4
 radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_8  radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_6
 radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_7  radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_9
 radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_5  radlett_st_anthony_of_padua_rc030214_3

Church website

Taking Stock entry

Sacred Heart, Park Street, Berkhamsted (Roman Catholic)

Hidden away between the railway and Park street on the south side of the main road is this church of 1966-67 by Campling & Iliffe.

berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_  berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_5
 berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_7  berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_8
 berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_3  berkhamsted_sacred_heart_rc240214_2

Church website

Taking Stock entry

St John Fisher, Redbourn (Roman Catholic)

At the northern end of the town, a church of 1965 by Gordon and Gordon Associates.

 redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc041114_4  redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc041114_
 redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc041114_1  redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc030214_10
 redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc030214_3  redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc030214_8
 redbourn_st_john_fisher_rc030214_4  

Church website

Taking Stock entry

Our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew, Hitchin (Roman Catholic)

North east of the town centre stands the original church of 1901, now in use as a hall having been superseded by a building of 1977. The original church is by A.E. Purdie, the replacement by Derek Goss of Hamilton Associates.

hitchin_our_lady_st_andrew_rc030113_ (2) hitchin_our_lady_st_andrew_rc030113_1
 hitchin_our_lady_st_andrew_rc030113_2  hitchin_our_lady_immaculate_st_andrew_rc250614_
 hitchin_our_lady_immaculate_st_andrew_rc250614_2  hitchin_our_lady_immaculate_st_andrew_rc250614_5
 hitchin_our_lady_immaculate_st_andrew_rc250614_4  hitchin_our_lady_immaculate_st_andrew_rc250614_1
        hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_22  hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_8
 hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_4  hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_23
 hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_15  hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_11
 hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_9  hitchin_our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew_rc230714_1

Church website

Diocese of Westminster entry

Taking Stock entry