Home » Scott, George Gilbert
Category Archives: Scott, George Gilbert
In the far west of Hertfordshire, indeed the previous church was actually in Buckinghamshire. This was George Gilbert Scott’s first church and it is very much a building of its date – 1838. The east window has John Hayward glass of 1958. The glass by David Wasley from 1999 is, unusually, in the screen rather than a window.
A couple of miles north of Chorleywood, in very attractive country above the Chess valley. The small church is well south of the main village centre. Basically a 12th century building, with the chancel extended in the 13th and 14th centuries. The tower is 15th and 16th century. G.G. Scott restored the church in 1865-66, adding vestries and porch and extending the aisles. The pulpit is 16th century, east window by Clayton and Bell with other early 20th century glass by Christopher Whall and modern glass by Chapel Studios and Alfred Fisher.
On its own west of the A41 between Boxmoor and Berkhamsted, in some older works this building is called Broadway Chapel. It is a Gilbert Scott church of 1853-55. The prominent western hall extension is by Nick Wood of Blackwood Architects of Aylesbury and dates from 2007. he chancel decoration is from 1889-91 and was designed by local architect Charles Rew. Three windows (one hidden behind the reredos) ware the first designs by Alfred Bell and made by Powell’s. However the two visible ones were stolen in 2001 and replaced by replicas made by Chapel Studios in 2005.
In actual terms this church is in the northern Watford suburb of Garston. The church was designed by George Gilbert Scott in 1853. Following 8 months of closure it reopened in June 2014 with a new roof and audio-visual systems. Much of the glass is by Wailes of Newcastle and contemporary with the church.
Well out of the city centre on the south side. Considerable saxon remains are found in the north wall where a Norman arch cuts into an earlier window. The chancel is Norman and the south chapel 13th century, this was only opened up into the chancel in the 20th century. The wooden bell turret is 19th century on a 15th century wooden structure. Restoration was by G.G. Scott in 1860. The west front still shows the end of the demolished north aisle.
One of the county’s largest churches with a low tower and fine east view across the landscaped river side. The tower is 12th/13th century, the nave 14th century with a 15th century clerestory. The north and south chapels are from the second half of the 15th century. It was restored by G.G. Scott in 1858-65 and George Pace in 1962.